You mastered the art of dressing yourself by the time you were in kindergarten. So why does it feel like such a chore when looking at your wardrobe and deciding what to wear every day? Organizing a wardrobe has it’s challenges.
Sometimes, a disorganized closet may be the obstacle. Excess clothing or accessories that poorly fit your body or personal style can obscure the view of your sartorial potential. However, even after you jettison everything that doesn’t serve your needs, you may still feel uninspired.
That’s because organizing your wardrobe involves much more than organizing your closet. Elsewhere in your home, kitchens, pantries, and garages are organized mainly by function. Developing and organizing a wardrobe, however, needs to meet more than just functional principles. It presents unique challenges based on tastes as well as practicalities.
Your clothing comes in a wide variety of colors, weights, fabrics, patterns and styles. To further complicate matters, you need to account for the weather, the formality and purpose of an occasion, as well as your personal mood, in order to build an outfit. With so many complex options, it’s not surprising that people can use a little help deciding what goes with what.
So I’ve developed some strategies and tools to help you refine the elements of a more unified wardrobe, one that really presents you to the world the way you wish to be seen.
1) Start with an organized closet, devoid of anything that fails to fit or flatter.
2) Next, select a special piece, like a favorite pair of pants or trendy top, or a special pair of shoes, and add other garments and accessories until you’ve created a complete outfit you’d be thrilled to wear. If you’re eagerly anticipating getting to wear the outfit, you’ve got a winner.
3) Use the Wardrobe Organizer forms that I’ve designed to note each outfit’s relevant details, so nothing is forgotten.
As you use these Wardrobe Organizer forms, give yourself permission to make interesting matches and pair together items you might not have previously considered.
Constructing a cohesive look on paper gives you ideal “go to” outfits, streamlining preparations for business trips, vacations, and the changing of the seasons. You’re covered for everything from special-occasion dressing to getting yourself together before the coffee has kicked in.
When you find yourself thinking you have nothing to wear, the Wardrobe Organizer forms are the perfect tool to grab and get you out the door in no time; you’ll feel confident and look fantastic!
Latest posts by Geralin Thomas (see all)
- Clean Living Series, by the American Cleaning Institute - April 17, 2014
- What Organizing Tools Can You Count On? - April 15, 2014
- Fun and Easy Ways to Decorate For Easter - April 8, 2014