How to Become a Professional Organizer
A warm welcome if you’re here because you’ve decided to start a new business as a professional organizer! Many of you joined me on last night’s call with questions on how to become a professional organizer and how to start your professional organizing business.
While being productive, efficient, and organized is easy for you, the business of starting an organizing business isn’t. Most professional organizers have never owned a business before and many feel completely overwhelmed. It’s normal if you find yourself wondering what to do first.
Does this sound familiar? If so, keep reading.
Below is a list of ten tips; ten, small, concrete action-items for you to implement and start building your new professional organizing business. I’d like to help you create a sustainable, healthy organizing business based on how the real world of professional organizing works – not how others wish it worked.
BTW, I’m currently working on a few more lists because new organizers, just like you, have sent questions, left comments and detailed voicemails asking for specific information. Each, “How To Become a Professional Organizer” blog post is created with you in mind.
Your feedback inspires me so I encourage you to let me know what information is most helpful and relevant to you in the comments section. And if you’d like to Ask me Anything! sign up for my newsletter to receive the latest information on calls, training and products designed specifically for professional organizers.
Tips to Become a Professional Organizer & Start Your Organizing Business
- Decide on a legal structure for your business
- Select a name for your business
- Purchase a web address
- Create a bank account for your business
- Apply for a credit card that will be used for your business
- Obtain business insurance
- Obtain a business license and reseller’s license (if required)
- Obtain an EIN number (free at IRS.gov)
- Write a brief business plan
- Decide on an appropriate budget to invest in your business based on research and your specific goals
Latest posts by Geralin Thomas (see all)
- Clean Living Series, by the American Cleaning Institute - April 17, 2014
- What Organizing Tools Can You Count On? - April 15, 2014
- Fun and Easy Ways to Decorate For Easter - April 8, 2014